"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." -Albert Einstein

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Herbal remedies - what works and what doesn't?





Researchers from the Global Neuroscience Initiative Foundation, a non-profit organisation based in Los Angeles, have been reviewing research into nutritional supplements for treating anxiety. They pooled the results of 24 studies involving more than 200 participants. They found that extracts of passionflower and kava were effective as were L-lysine and L-arginine but that St John's Wort and magnesium supplements were not. There were no serious side effects from any of the herbal remedies.
I find this sort of thing very interesting. Aren't Naturopathic treatments where our modern medicine originated? Yet, the Medical professional community seems to be pretty much opposed to "natural" treatments. Hm?
 I tried "Sam-E" a while back for the depression and general malaise I felt, and it really did the trick for a while. I think the packaging said to stop taking it for a couple of weeks after taking the stuff for a month or so, so that's where they lost me. I can tolerate getting through the weeks of waiting for (antidepressant) meds to noticably take affect, but that's because after that, they're going to work for a long time, with only minor adjustments required. I don't know how it is for everone who deals with clinical depression, but I'm no good to anyone if I'm not actively pursuing the remedy. When I"ve taken myself off of the medication before, it's never been a good thing. So, I continue, because I owe it to my family to be the best Mom, wife, daughter, etc., that I am capable of being. And w/out treating the depression, I become a slug. What about you? What's the most noticeable symptoms for your mental health issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! I love to hear your thoughts!