"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." -Albert Einstein

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A quote for you

Humpty Dumpty: "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."


Alice: "The question is, whether you can make words mean so many different things."


Humpty Dumpty: "The question is: which is to be master - that's all."



THERE's an interesting thought:
My words mean whatever I want them to mean.
When I'm talking to myself, that's a good thing, but in interacting with those around me, I suppose the trick is to be able to translate what I mean by it, into what the person(s) listening, will comprehend. Kinda like two languages.
I know that I had my first-hand experience in learning to speak the other's language (for survival purposes) was when I was about 22 years old. I was in a relationship with a "man" (I prefer to call him satan.) who turned out to be too many kinds of crazy for me to figure out, b/c at the time all I needed to know is that he was a liar, a prescription drug addict, a SOCIOPATH, and a female-beater. In order to communicate with him (when fists were not being used), I learned to listen to what he meant, and rather than respond as I felt, I had to tell him what he wanted to hear. In later years, a friend and I would joke about domestic abuse: "Oh, it's ok, honey, I understand, it's my fault....Why don't you just go lay down for a little bit...take a nap...(In Glenda the good witch's voice) go to sleeeep."  : )
It stil makes me smile and cringe at the same time.
And when I saw this quote in my inbox, it somehow reminded me of a kind of word game we used to play when I was a teenager. It consisted of using the word "F---" in sentences with as many DIFFERENT grammatical meanings as we could think of. Yeah, it probably doesn't sound quite as hilarious now as it was then, and I'll say that the reason might be that there were many varied chemicals floating around back in the day.  (DOH!) Which leads me to the question I ponder occasionally when I have free time:
Which came first; the mental illness, or the drugs? I know that I used many things to escape from the crowd inside of my head, but was it partially the Itty Bitty Committee that made it necessary to self-medicate? Or did the drugs help them to come forward?
What do you think?



                                           

2 comments:

  1. I've pondered the same thing in my life.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the two are mutually independent of one another. There are folks with mental illnesses who have never been users, and folks who are long time users who (shockingly perhaps) don't seem to have mental illnesses.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I love to hear your thoughts!