"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." -Albert Einstein

Saturday, January 7, 2012

This one's from ME. (Too many cut & pastes, huh?)

I'm almost out of library time, but I had to write this down before I forgot it. I wanted to post about Hoarding. This term hasn't always been, it seems to have leapt into conversations just in the last few years. I can see where many other diagnoses would apply to this one (What IS Hoarding, technically??), but several years ago I had a brush with my own undeniable Hoarding tendencies.
When I was a child, we had a cat, Kitty, and she was my best friend through a lot of craziness and tears. Then in high school, my Bff and I adopted a pair from the Humane Society, and things were GOOD. Baby & Bruno were awesome and they kept our family balanced for many years. Then, eventually I was the ADULT in the home, and the pet decisions fell on me. I had Twiggy (tabby cat), who'd joined up with me in Florida, and come back up north with the boys & I. Then I got a job at the local Animal Clinic-perfect for an animal lover, right?! Um, not so much. I learned WAY more of the behind-the-scenes goings-on than I really ever wanted to know. I understand that anyone who deals with health issues, in general, has to develop a thick skin in order to handle the potential emotions that result from such close proximity to their patients. I learned a great many things there, that I'm glad I know. I was able, for example, to give Twig a "Sub-Q" shot once, and I do NOT like shots. (No one was injured, fyi)
I also learned that one of the side-effects of working in an animal clinic is the addition to your critters at home. (Enter Lacey.) So there were 2 cats. Lacey, btw, became my absolutely bff-maybe even moreso than any humans, but can't say for sure.
Things were good with 2 cats, myself, and my 2 boys. We moved into a house (rent-to-own, supposedly), so we got another cat. (Hopi) You see where this is going, right?
Ok, so it became fairly obvious to me that I was entering the CRAZY CAT LADY zone. I decided that if I was going to continue collecting cats, they'd need to stop being the living kind.   
SO, I began collecting porcelain cats, wooden cats, and generally whatever kind I saw that warmed my heart and was not BREATHING. It worked for a while. Then we moved and I packed up most of the collection.
Long story short, The Big Guy and I achieved the 3 cat mark just a week ago today. SIGH. Yes, they're wonderful, YES, I adore them and all of thier little quirks...But fer cryin' out loud, we live in a TINY apartment!! So, without further adeu, I will show you the little beauty that schmoozed her way into our hearts last week. (She was dumped off, apparently. IDIOTS)
I named her Perty, because, well, you'll see. The eldest boy calls her Lollipop, because I referred to her being a munchkin at first, and, you get the connection (Lollipop Guild).  Just ignore the colored-on arm by her head. The Big Guy IS the one who brought her in, and she appears to be a seriously Man's cat. LoL
Floozy.

"come hither", right?!

How are things shaping up @ your place?











1 comment:

  1. All's well here. Check the new post. I think as long as you keep the hoarding in check you are reasonably safe.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I love to hear your thoughts!